Hitterdahl Lutheran Congregation was founded by area residents who were primarily Norwegian farmers in 1882. Our name derives from a place in Norway where a stave church (stavekirke) still stands.
The congregation was first served by a pastor from the church in Scandinavia WI, which was the mother church of several area congregations. In 1904 a joint parish was formed with Our Saviors Lutheran Church in Iola WI, and we shared a pastor with them. Later, we joined with Northland Lutheran Church and shared a pastor until 2009. In 2009 we joined the LCMC, Lutheran Churches in Mission to Christ.
In 2010, Hitterdahl called the Reverend Dale Wilson to be our pastor and he continues to serve us.
The original wooden frame building was first used in August 1883. That structure caught fire during Sunday service on December 13, 1936. Despite the difficulties of the Great Depression, the congregation persevered and the present brick building was dedicated on Sunday, June 29, 1941. Two additions to this structure have been made since then.
In an effort to obey Christ’s command to care for the “least of these,” the congregation has maintained a tradition of supporting the needy in our community and throughout the world.